Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my dog was bitten by something all of a sudden I…

Customer Question
I think my dog...

I think my dog was bitten by something all of a sudden I look in his swollen up under his neck and he's moping around and drooling what should I do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

No he's not bleeding but he's rolling under his neck with a lump and he's not feeling good and he's also giving like from his penis

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he's approximately four and a half years old he's a red nose pitbull

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dee?

He likes to fight a lot and sometimes you break loose and fight other dogs but I'm afraid he either got he had to get bitten by something

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

The first thing I would do is to give him benadryl in case he is having an allergic reaction.

The dose for benadryl is 1 mg of benadryl per each pound of dog every 12 hours until all the swelling is gone.

For example a 50 pound dog would take 50mg of benadryl every 12 hours.

Signs of a severe allergic reaction, in which case he needs to see the ER vet right away are:

Trouble breathing

Non-stop or repeated vomiting

Pale, white, purple, or blue gum color

Severe lethargy or not responding to touch or voice

Swelling getting worse and not responding to benadryl

If it is not an allergic reaction then it is probably an infection

That is not going to be something you can treat at home.

He would have to see a vet and get a course of antibiotics.

You can hold an ice pack on the swelling for 20 minutes every hour until bedtime and hopefully that will reduce some of the swelling.

Did all of that make sense? Do you have any other questions for me?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian