Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog got into a fight with my other dog and was bitten on…

Customer Question
My dog got into...

My dog got into a fight with my other dog and was bitten on his leg, and is now not wanting to come out of his cage and when he does he's walking slow and shakes when I'm looking at his wound

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

No no blood was drown from the bite I can just see a some white in the area

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Little man and he is 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Little man

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

My dogs have been getting into fights for the past week with each other and I've had them around each other for 2 years and haven't had this many fights in a row

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Little Man. If you can identify full thickness skin bite wounds, he'll need a sytemic antibiotic aboard within 48 hours of the injury or the wound will abcess requiring surgical lancing, flushing with an antimicrobial solution, and perhaps having a drain installed or left open to drain. Seeing a "little white" suggests that you can see the subcutaneous tissues under the skin and that would demonstrate a full thickness skin bite wound. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

It's maybe a couple centimeters, like only the fang penetrated, I was able to stop the fights within seconds of it starting. Is there any reason why they would be fighting more frequently? Before if was maybe once a few months and it's been at least 2 a day for the past week.

It only takes one fang to penetrate deeply to end up abscessing. The discussion involving aggression in dogs to each other is quite involved. You can ask customer service to recategorize your question into "dog training" where both trainers and behaviorists can answer you better than I.