Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Second opinion] My dogs have the same father different

Customer Question
mothers, they have mated we...
Second opinion] My dogs have the same father different mothers, they have mated we had the litter all are in great health I had a buyer ask for their money back due to thisJA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?Customer: the Mom is 31/2 Dad is 41/2 puppies are 10 weeksJA: What is the dog's name?Customer: Duke & CandyJA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Duke?Customer: No he is a beautiful dog he is in great health
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 11 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

This is really a personal decision. There is no guarantee that half siblings mated together will produce pups that have health issues. It does mean that there is a higher chance the pups will inherit certain traits from both the mom and dad's father since they do share a sire. These might be good traits or poor traits. Many reputable breeders will line breed (breeding daughter to grandsire etc) to fix desirable traits in the offspring. However when this is done it is important to monitor the offspring for a couple of generations if possible to ensure bad traits do not crop up or a weakened immune system in the offspring. You can read more on breeding closely related dogs here:

https://davidcavill.wordpress.com/a-beginners-guide-to-inbreeding-and-line-breeding/

Now if there was a contract then the contract should spell out any possible reasons for a return and refund. If there was no contract then there really isn't any cause for a refund I would think legally though you would need to check in your state for legal ramifications. We are pet experts not legal experts. However, if you did not disclose that the sire and dam were closely related (half siblings) then you might just go ahead and return the money in exchange for the puppy back in the same condition it was in when delivered to the buyer. You would need a vet to verify that the pup has not contracted parvovirus while it has been away and I would suggest quarantine for the pup for at least 10 days to ensure the pup has not chance to infect other pups if it has contracted a disease.

You will need to contact a legal representative to determine if they have any legal recourse in your particular state. Usually puppies sold by private sellers without a contract are sold as is.

I also want to let you know that the AKC does nothing but ensure that both sire and dam are purebred and registered. They would still register the pups of even a brother and sister mating. They do not govern that aspect of breeding. They are just a registry.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.