Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was placed on Baytril recently in addition to

Customer Question
Hello! My dog was...

Hello! My dog was placed on Baytril recently in addition to prednisone and a painkiller and has been vomiting a lot.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No, just his normal food

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Bailey, he's 14

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bailey?

He recently had a 104 fever which was why the abx were prescribed. Fever has gone down but he seems really lethargic.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Sara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Sara. Do you know what the fever was from? What is the pain medication that Bailey is on?

The vets weren't able to conclude what caused the fever. X-rays came up clear, he had slightly elevated pancreas enzymes but nothing major on the blood tests. He's had patches of hair loss on his back recently and some back pain. His pain med is Gabpentin. He's supposed to have the prednisone and pain med in the morning and prednisone and baytril together at night. He was just started on the oral prednisone and baytril last night which is when the vomiting started.

Alright, I am wondering if the prednisone is necessary (maybe they thought it was autoimmune). Usually if we are trying to manage an infection with an antibiotic, we won't add in prednisone because this dampens the immune system response. So, maybe using an antacid will help with the upset stomach but also asking your veterinarian if he needs the prednisone. The pred and the Gaba can also cause some sedation which could be perceived as lethargy. It sounds like from your first message that the fever came down after the Baytril was started. Did autoimmune ever get mentioned to you?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian