Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Charlie is a 8 month cocker spaniel. Yesyerday we went on…

Customer Question
Charlie Brown is a...

Charlie Brown is a 8 month cocker spaniel. Yesyerday we went on antibiotics for a week 2 times daily for a skin infection of some sort (possibly cancer. Have not gotten blood work yet) He's got 3 lumps that have developed in 3 months or less (he was just shaved so they've just been able to be seen) 2 on his tail 1 on his rib cage. Draining blood and painful/itchy to him What other possibilities could it be?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the Cocker Spaniel's name?

Charlie Brown. We were at the vet yesyerday. But its still a week of antibiotivs before we can blood test and send to the pathologist

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?

He's on grain free kibble (American journey) and is up to date on proheart and nexgaurd As well as additions of salmon oil to his food

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of these lumps to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. Cancer isn't likely in an 8 month old.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

My better oictures will not upload. Too large

_10210657379097740.jpg is too out of focus for me to assess properly

20170919_112155.jpg reveals an epidermal collarette which most often indicates a pyoderma - bacterial skin infection - but can also indicate a fungal infection or autoimmune skin diseases

20170919_112146 also reveals an epidermal collarette...these usually begin as pustules and then spread out in a roughly circular manner...the center than quiets down and often hyperpigments while the rim can remain actively infected and inflamed

20170919_112222 is another epidermal collarette. It would easy to rule a mast cell tumor in or out; a needle aspirate examined microscopically will reveal the easily identified mast cells while you wait in the exam room.

Treatment of a pyoderma consists of an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. Bathing twice weekly in a chlorhexidine- or benzoyl peroxide-containing shampoo should hasten resolution of the infection. The shampoos can be found over the counter in pet/feed stores, your vet hospital, or online. The antibiotic is a prescription drug available only from an attending vet. (We’re not allowed to prescribe through this venue.) Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you! They did an aspirate at the vet yesterday, but the face she gave me made me assume the worst. And she was talking avoidllbout a mass build up of cells. From what I caught Apparently so many of his cells and enzymes were in there thay they couldn't give me a clue of anything other than " an infection" and the only thing I've found that resembled his lumps were mast cellsDo you think a raw or partially cooked diet would help resolve the issue?Also would a antimicrobial/ antiparasitic help at all? Or only a peroxide shampoo? Because I do already have the first one in my houseAnd we should avoid the dog park until this resolved, or is he immunocompromised in a sense that we should avoid it all together?

You're quite welcome. The first thing I'd do is be patient and see if 3-4 weeks of the appropriate antibiotic is helpful. One week won't do the trick. If you didn't see a positive response, have the nastiest lesion punch biopsied and let our pathologist make the diagnosis.

No, this isn't diet related.

See above where I posted: "Treatment of a pyoderma..."

No, there's no reason to quarantine such a patient. He's not contagious nor immunocompromised.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.