Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a 15 year old cocker spaniel- she has recently…

Customer Question
My dog is a...

My dog is a 15 year old cocker spaniel- she has recently started coughing and the vomits clear phlem like she trying to clear her throat. Still drinking but eating very little. Just this morning she started with dark diarrhea.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

This did not start until after eating a chicken patty on Friday

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Cami

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cami?

She has had e-coli in the past year which she was treated for and had a uti at the same time

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. It is very possible that the coughing and diarrhea are not related. Chances are they are not. The diarrhea is most likely from the chicken patty. If it is black in color, looks tarry or has "coffee grounds" on it; then that may be more serious and could signify a bleeding lesion in the stomach or small intestinal tract. Coughing in older dogs can be cause by many things. It is possible it is just an upper respiratory infection. You often expectorant come up when they cough with an infection. It is also possible it is heart problems, chronic bronchitis (very common in older dogs) or a mass in the respiratory tree. With any coughing in older dogs, I always recommend an x-ray of the chest. At the very least, your vet can put her on antibiotics and cough medications. As far as OTC cough medications that are safe, Robitussin DM (only the DM formulation) is the only one. 1 teaspoon per 20 lbs of body weight every 4-6 hours can help. Increased fiber in the diet with Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin may help with diarrhea as would an over the counter kaolin/pectin anti-diarrhea medication (some pet stores even carry this). With darker diarrhea, I don't usually recommend Pepto Bismol. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian