Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Cavalier with extremly watery eyes, vet checked says eyes…

Cavalier with extremly watery...

Cavalier with extremly watery eyes, vet checked says eyes are fine. How can I reduce some of the tearing (it literally rolls off her face like she's crying) and do something about the tearing? I dont think there is a product/regimine I haven't tried. I cleanse wipe and dry her face three times a day. Help please!!! (she's 7 1/2 mo old) She's one a very high quality food and distilled water too.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Brooke

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brooke?

I don't believe so

9/19/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry you are concerned about Brooke's tearing. If her eyes checked out OK, then it may be she has a blocked or pinched off tear duct. Tears are constantly produced, but you don't normally see them because they drain out the tear ducts. In dogs with short faces like Cavaliers, Pugs, Bulldogs, etc the tears sometimes drain over the face instead of the ducts.

Using Terramycin eye ointment or doxycycline may help with tear staining, but you have to keep doing it. You can get Terramycin over the counter in some states (not California).

You could consult a veterinary ophthalmologist to see if there is any treatment or surgery to be done to get the tears to drain through the ducts.

This may just be a breed related problem, due the confirmation of this adorable breed, and there may not be a cure.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer and if this is helpful.

I hope you saw what I wrote; I have not heard back from you!

Please let me know if this was helpful and what other questions I can answer!

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the good rating!