Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Molley is a 10 1/2 year old mix. 85 1bs. Healthy and happy…

Molley is a 10...

Molley is a 10 1/2 year old mix. 85 1bs. Healthy and happy except for a growth weighing (guess) between 3-4 lbs. on her eight chest, rib area. it's not painful at all, been there since I got her, unchanged, but grows with her weight as she ages. My children thought she got it(hernia?) jumping into the truck one day and she slipped.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Mix. spca. I suspect part Rot, part lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Sorry, a dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

Molley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molley?

Not a thing

9/19/2017
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you. This mass sounds most likely like a "lipoma" or mass composed of fat. These are benign and are often left alone. However, if they are interrupting a pet's quality of life by affecting the way they move/get comfortable, etc., then we consider removing them. However, other mass types are possible, as are hernias. I highly recommend this mass be evaluated by a veterinarian. This is the only way to know for sure what the mass is. They will likely use a needle to take a small sample of it to look at under a microscope and determine what the mass is. Does this make sense?

Makes perfect sense. My thoughts were the same as yours, and I'm going to have a biopsy done. She's happy as a clam and I'll leave it alone if biopsy comes back o.k. Thank-you Doctor, Jeff McMurray. Have a Good Day.

You are very welcome! I hope she does well! Best, ***** *****

Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian