Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog is lethargic. Ive taken his temp(101) and shined a light…

Customer Question
Dog is lethargic. Ive...

Dog is lethargic. Ive taken his temp(101) and shined a light in his eyes and they do constrict immediately.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Fin, 7 years.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fin?

Usually when I give him treats i go through a chain of commands; sit, shake..etc. i say up and he usually gets on his back legs but he just sits there.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
He drank water for about 15 seconds
9/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What breed is Fin?
2) Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?
3) Any history of illness or injury?
4) Any obvious sign of pain such as vocalizing?

He is a west highland terrier. No change in diet. I haven't seen him tear anything and he has veen a healthy dog so far.As for pain, he looks really sluggish. Took him abput 3 seconds to get up when usually he just jumps up

This temperature is within normal ranges. We like to see it between 100 and 102.5. He's not showing any signs that stand out as telling me exactly what is wrong. With his age and not being willing to follow the command "up" he may be tender in the back end. Often this happens when a dog is experiencing arthritis pain.

The absolute best approach here is going to be an examination and diagnostics so your vet can determine what is wrong and why he's acting lethargic and not following all commands.

If your companion is not already on a joint supplement, I would recommend starting one. My favorite are http://www.glycoflex.com products. If you wish to try something at home and also believe this may be due to discomfort, you can administer aspirin if no other medications are being given. Dosing info is available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ I would also recommend talking to your vet about using canine-safe NSAID therapy as well as pain medication therapy, such as rimadyl combined with tramadol, to offer the most relief from discomfort.

If other symptoms develop in the days to come, please use this link to reach back out to me and we can pick tip where we left off at no additional charge to you.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in. How is Fin today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse