Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is not eating or drinking anything. She is a two year…

Customer Question
My dog is not...

My dog is not eating or drinking anything. She is a two year old springer spaniel and usually eats anything in sight. She threw up a white foam substance today after trying to give her dinner. She is refusing to drink water and I'm really worried.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I'm aware of

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

She ate breakfast fine and she is lethargic. She is tucking her hind end more and is not herself. She has two siblings that are acting fine and has not been to a dog park in a few months. Yesterday I found toilet paper and paper plates chewed up and a plastic container on the floor but we have a 4 month old puppy that chews everything and likes stuff like that. I guess it could have been her who did it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Oh and we did put down fertilizer on the grass on Friday night.
Itried offering pumpkin thinking her tummy was upset and she won't eat it, also won't eat yogurt. I haven't seen her poop at all and I know she is peeing. She is refusing to go outside or move really, she will move if the puppy tries to play with her and will play back for a bit and then stops quickly and rests. She is able to lay down.
9/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you. I am honestly very concerned about your dog and highly recommend she see a veterinarian as soon as possible. Her signs can be consistent with potentially life threatening problems such as a blockage in her intestinal tract, or bloat of the stomach. These need fast treatment.

Does her abdomen look bigger? Is it painful if you touch it?

She does not appear to be in pain when I palpate her tummy, and I can't tell if it looks bigger, it doesn't feel hard either that I can tell

Ok, that is good. How long has she been not eating? How long since she passed feces?

It's been since 9/18 morning at 6am since she ate and around that long since I've seen her drink. And I have not seen her try to go to the bathroom at all since yesterday, she normally has large bowel movements. She has however peed. I took her outside at 1am today to try and get her too and she just peed.

Ok, thank you for that information. I am concerned about her. These signs can indicate very serious problems and may also predispose her to potentially severe dehydration. Do you have any veterinarians open near you?

Not till 8am, is it safe to wait that long?

What time is it where you are?

If you can, I'd like you to take some vital signs for me so I can better determine what condition she is in. Can you watch her breath and count each breath (in and out = 1 breath) for 15 seconds and tell me what that number is?

I'm thinking pancreatitis or something, she normally gets a high fiber diet. Or an intestinal blockage. Her breathing is slow 7 per 15 seconds.

Those are very possible, yes. That is good. Next, if you are able to take a heart rate that would also be helpful. The easiest ways to do this are to feel for femoral pulses in her back armpits, or, you can put your hand over her heart (left chest under her front armpit). Count the same, per 15 seconds

About 17 to 18 it didn't feel consistent.
She is just sleeping and not making any noise while I'm with her

Ok, thank you for that information. Lack of consistency can be a true irregular heart beat, or can be a normal variation in breathing with dogs. What time is you where you are?

247 am

Ok, thank you. I am concerned about her, but, her vital signs are ok and if she appears to be resting comfortably, it sounds like she is most likely ok to wait until morning. But I would monitor her closely until then: watch for more vomiting, diarrhea, a bloated belly, retching/gagging, pain in the abdomen. You can also check her gums and make sure they stay pink- if they become pale, bluish, or bright red, she should get to an ER clinic immediately.

Her gums are a normal color she hasn't vomited since last night after trying to give her dinner, should I try and get fluids down with a syringe in the mouth?

Great! I would offer her free water. If she doesn't drink you can certainly try syringe feeding her water but the risk is that if she inhales some of that into her lungs she can get pneumonia ("aspiration"). So if you do this, make sure she keeps her head in a normal position with her nose angled forward, never up. Put the syringe in the corner of her mouth and slowly release the water. Does that make sense?

When I palpate her belly she just lets me and lifts her leg up to let me continue

That is very good, it sounds like she is comfortable then!

But she won't eat or drink. It is worrying me greatly
I will try the syringe thing, cause free water she is refusing

Yes, I agree and I am worried too. I would get her to a vet first thing in the morning.

Sooner if she gets worse

Ok thank you.

You are very welcome. Do you have any other questions?

How much fluids at a time with the syringe? 15mL's ????

Sure, you can start there. A dog her size needs quite a bit of fluids but I wouldn't force too much on her sensitive stomach. Go slow with the fluids and see how she handles it. If she vomits it, stop giving it

Ok thank you and if she vomits it take her to the emergency vet

Yes, I would agree that would be the most appropriate course of action

How long is too long without water? I fear 24 hours, I heard before to fast dogs with upset tummies for up to 24 hours

That's a good question. There is no magic number and dehydration will increase with time. 24 hours is not fatal per se, but could be quite detrimental without water. Without food food for 24 hours is much less concerning and not all that detrimental to an adult dog

I've given her some water from a syringe and she is licking her mouth and I can hear her tummy grumbling.

Ok, well done. It's probably grumbling because it is upset and empty. If you have white rice (cooked) or chicken breast (boneless white meat boiled) you could see if she'll eat that, sometimes dogs are more excited about that

Tried that already and she refused it
Are you thinking I intestinal blockage from what I've described?? Cause it doesn't appear to be an issue with the tummy besides being upset and not eating.

I think that is very possible yes. I would get her to a vet in the morning. It's also possible she just has an upset stomach, but x-rays of her abdomen are needed to make sure she isn't obstructed

Ok I will get to a vet first thing and will continue to monitor her, what are the abnormal vital signs I should watch out for to she that she is getting worse and needs medical attention sooner
Are there any kind of tummy medications I can give her?

I would avoid medications since we don't know exactly what's wrong. We could make things worse, or hide symptoms that would be helpful for her vet to see

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Vet_Dr.Drea
She threw up a toy that I assume was the cause and I took her to the vet and they gave her some meds to help with the nausea! She appears to be back to normal and she isn't vomiting and regular bowel movements. She was dehydrated when we took her in and they gave her fluids.
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian