Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My yorkie licked small amounts of borax mixed with molasses…

My yorkie licked small...

My yorkie licked small amounts of borax mixed with molasses and I'm concerned about that!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

It just happened 5 minutes ago and I'm concerned..

9/19/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Thank you
No because I'm hard of hearing and prefer text.

No problem with the phone call, just typing out your answer now ...

Hello again,

The chances are that your Yorkie will be just fine, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below.

1. The good news is that Boric Acid is not that toxic to dogs at all, in fact where a small amount has been ingested as in your case then it could well be that your dog will not show any symptoms of any sort. Where larger amounts were ingested then you may see such symptoms as vomiting and salivation, but this should soon pass, more severe symptoms such as kidney failure only occur where very large amounts were ingested.

2. Given the above all you need do is to keep an eye on your dog, but in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your Yorkie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Wonderful!! I'm so relieved... Although Ittybitty hasn't show any sign yet, I sure hope she stays this way!! Thank you for your time at this late evening...
Patty O'Leary

No problem Patty, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?