How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 20743
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our 17 lb dog ate 2 pieces of chocolate. She's not throwing

This answer was rated:

our 17 lb dog ate 2 pieces of chocolate. She's not throwing up or hyper. She would not go out to the bathroom. She's asleep. Should we be concerned? It's been 3 hours ago since she ate them.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She's 3 yrs old and healthy.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. Was this just two small squares of milk chocolate ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not small squares of chocolate. One was a mint chocolate the size of a walnut. The other was caramel chocolate the same size.

Thanks for that, just typing out your answer now ...

Hello again,

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect your dog very much, in fact there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on her, she should be just fine. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. But lets talk things over in more depth ...

1. You see the rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 17 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 11.9 ozs { More than half a pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. Clearly the amount of chocolate she ate is well below this, and mint and caramel are not toxic to dogs. So really all should be well ...

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear, symptoms would normally start around two hours after ingestion by the way.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will keep an eye on her. Thank you very much.

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

She should be just fine, but please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo and 4 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott