Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has an oozing boil or cycst behind his left front…

Customer Question
My dog has an...

My dog has an oozing boil or cycst behind his left front paw . Should l cover it with something or leave it open to air out or cover it because he scratches at it and make it bleed??? l am treating it with warm salted water and aloe vera Is this correct?????

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Lt is not fleas .L

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

It is not fleas.It is a cysct

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. I am so sorry to hear about your situation. I am Dr. Nicole and I will try to help you through this situation. I am working on a response right now.

Is the lesion actively bleeding now and is he licking or scratching at it currently?

How big is the lesion approximately?

If he is otherwise leaving it alone, I think that it would be best for it to be uncovered for it to dry out. Most of the time if there is a lesion on the paw, it is best to keep it uncovered to help it dry out. If a pet is licking and chewing at it, an e-collar is the best option, although they are not fun to put on your pet! If there is no collar available, you could always put a light breathable sock or wrap on the area tonight to try to prevent him from licking, as long as he doesn't chew the wrap off.

You can definitely clean it with warm water, epsom salts or similar. That is good. You would be fine to use an antibiotic ointment like Neosporin also to help it heal. The Aloe Vera won't hurt it, but neosporin might help it heal faster.

My biggest concern, though, is that these are temporarily fixes. If the lesion does not resolve and seems to be getting larger to the point where it is bleeding and bothering your pet, then typically it needs to be removed, especially on the paw.

Please let me know if you have any more questions that I can help with. I am happy to clarify anything that you might have concerns about.

If you are happy with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated. Even after the rating, we can continue this conversation for approximately 1 week.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian