Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My pup got into something he has an allergy to and has

Hi my pup got into something he has an allergy to and has swollen eyes. Gave him .5mg Dimetap as recommend by a friend and then researched and see it's a big no no....what do I need to do or was it low enough dose he should be okay!?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What confuses you?
Customer: So I need to do something or just watch him closely?
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rudy- Boston Terrier 12 weeks- 11 pounds...
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: No

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Did you mean 0.5 mL instead of 0.5 mg? There are three ingredients in Dimatapp.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry 0.5mL....ingredients: Brompheniramine maleate, USP 2 mg; Dextromethorphan HBr, USP 10 mg; Phenylephrine HCI, USP 5 mg

Thank you. You gave such a tiny dose I'd be surprised if you saw any adverse effects at all. The most likely is sedation from the antihistamine brompheniramine. Dextromethorphan isn't recommended in dogs due to lack of efficacy and 1 mg of it is inconsequential. Phenylephrine is poorly bioavailable by the oral route. We can forget about it. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay I will not give him anymore of that. If he is still swollen tomorrow can I give children's Benadryl and how much?

You can dose Benadryl at 1-2 mg per pound of body weight every 8-12 hours -10-20 mg every 8-12 hours for Rudy. Please note that dogs find the children's Benadryl solution quite untasteful. You'll have better luck with pills.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay thank you very much

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.