Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has a bump on his tail. He's been licking his tail so I…

Customer Question
He has a bump...

He has a bump on his tail. He's been licking his tail so I took a look. It was a little bloody in the middle.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Grady 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Grady?

I found chiggers on him but since bathing, he hasn't been itching.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

When did this develop?

This looks like a minor dermal growth. You may be able to get this to heal if he will leave it alone. You can apply an e-collar and then begin applying Neosporin 3x daily for 10 days. If it's not healed by then or worsens, your vet may need to surgically remove it. It appears to be a papilloma from what I can tell and these are typically not considered medically significant unless the pet is bothered by them.

If you do not have an e-collar at home, you can buy one at a pet store like Petsmart or make one at home using these instructions. The collar needs to extend at least 1" past the nose to prevent licking and chewing. If it does not successfully do this, the next size up needs to be purchased. It should prevent licking and chewing 100% of the time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFWPH17u0eU

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Grady?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse