Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is a 2 year old paperanian and is in renal failure. he is…

Customer Question
.he is a 2...

.he is a 2 year old paperanian and is in renal failure. he is getting Azodyl and lasix nin the infusion he is getting every day., he is bloated and gained 3 lbs since last week. he pees good and is pooping . on Friday there was blood in his urine but not now. he will not eat anything I give him no matter what it is. unless it is the meat that is 12 grns of protein and 120 grms of sodium. is there any hope for him

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Pomeranian's name?

Leo paperanian. a combination of papillion and a pomeranian

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Pomeranian?

Like what?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Hi

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Leo, please?

You appear to be describing the nephrotic syndrome in which renal failure is accompanied by proteinuria (loss of protein through the urine), hypercholesterolemia i(ncreased cholesterol in the blood), and fluid retention as evidenced by his bloating - free fluid in the abdominal cavity. This combination is an uncommon but important complication of protein-losing nephropathy (kidney disorder) and when found is always indicates a poor to grave prognosis. I suspect that a 2 year old was born with faulty kidneys - kidney dysplasia.

Can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Leo's vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't.

I will have to get the latest results. Is there any hope for him
His first blood test rated him at 39 In The bun level and creatine level was high as well. The blood test on Friday last week showed his bun level at 48
If there is no hope how long until he dies. Is he in pain?

I understand. Regretfully, his prognosis is poor to grave. His clinical condition can deteriorate rapidly and so frequent rechecks are necessary. A BUN of 48 shouldn't cause inappetence and so I'm concerned that more is going on that's making him nauseated or painful. Three consecutive days of anorexia are a negative prognostic sign. I'll watch for those test results.

Thank u. I will get those test

I appreciate it. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?