Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog keeps biting her arms. Nonstop all day. My vet said

My dog keeps biting her...
My dog keeps biting her arms. Nonstop all day long. My vet said she doesn't see anything. I've tried washing it but nothing i do seems to be helping. What can i do for her. I prefer something natural because she is in stage 3 kidney failure
9/19/2017
Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there, sorry to hear about your dog. Has she been diagnosed with allergies previously?

Dr. Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No not offically. Every now and then the vet tells me to give her benadryl. But he's never said she had allergies

Interesting, as antihistamines are usually the first over-the-counter medication that vets recommend for allergies. Biting at the front legs is typically associated with itching, which is usually associated with allergies, but can also indicate parasitic infection.

Unfortunately, your over-the-counter options aren't great. If your vet can rule out parasites (fleas, mites, etc) with a skin scraping, then you basically have two options. The first is to treat with a medication for allergies, Apoquel is the current favortie, though there are also injectables like Cytopoint. if you wan to work the problem up further and try to get a diagnosis, there are allergy tests available via bloodwork. They test for the more common environmental and food allergens. If allergens are identified, your dog can get allergy shots to try to cure the allergy.

All of these obviously require interacting with your vet again, which is why I say there are no good over-the-counter option.

I hope that helps a bit. Please let me know what other questions you have.

Dr. Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there any natural remedies i could try?

Not without a diagnosis. Natural remedies for allergies won't help if parasites are present, and natural anti-parasitics won't do anything for allergies.

Dr. Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you. Is there anything i can do for her tonight until i cam get her in with her vet?

Unfortunately, the only over the counter options are antihistamines like Benadryl. They don't typically address the underlying problems, and whether or not they will be effective is questionable as they can have the opposite effect.

If she is in distress tonight, it may be worth getting her to a local ER where they can give her a steroid shot to help stop the itching and make her more comfortable. You will just have to way expense vs. quality of life for tonight before you are able to get in with your vet.

Dr. Paul

Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Dog Veterinarian