Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He ate some vitamin d pils which were 4 years old. I am not…

Customer Question
He ate some vitamin...

He ate some vitamin d pils which were 4 years old. I am not sure how many or if he ate them at all I found the bottle opened and some left inside. He is like 30 pounds and a beagle

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Scotch

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. What is the strength of your vitamin D pills { iu } ?

2000

OK, thaks for that, just typing out your answer now ..

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Vitamin D can be very toxic to dogs, so there is some concern here. Basically you will start to be concerned when a dog takes more than 4,000 iu per kg of bodyweight { = 1,811 iu per pound of bodyweight } so the toxic dose for a 30 pound dog such as Scotch would be 54330 iu or 27 of your 2000 iu pills.

2. If you think Scotch may have ingested significantly less than 27 pills then you will have no worries, but more than that would be a concern. In that case one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the pills that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. If you think your dog has ingested more than 27 pills and you do not manage to induce vomiting then you should take your dog to an ER vet ASAP as there are other measures which can be taken. Inducing vomiting should be done within the first hour to be effective by the way.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Scotch's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Just checking back in to see how things are going ...

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Scotch is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Vitamin D tablets ..

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian