Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I gave my older black lab one tablet 650 mg, later, I told…

Customer Question
I gave my older...

I gave my older black lab one tablet 650 mg, later

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

I told my sister and she said I should not give that to my dog, I could kill her. She weighs around 45 - 50 lbs. She was limping today so that's why I gave it to her. Lily my dog.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No, wound, she has arthritis in her back legs and I left her meds at our summer home in TN last weekend

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?

Lily, we don't know how old she is we found her at Dale Hollow lake 2 years ago. Vets have all guessed 6 to 8 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Lily

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lily?

No, she is very, very healthy other then arthritis in her back legs and hips

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What is the name of the medication?

2- How long has it been since you gave it to her?

3- Is she currently on any other medications?

No other medications, I gave her one Tylenol 650 mg I gave it to her 20 minutes ago.

Please give me 5 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

I will call my vet in the morning, cancel this service please. My dog is sleeping in her bed. I am calling my vet now

Friend, one single dose of Tylenol 650mg is not going to be toxic for your dog, she will be fine. The better option is having her checked by your vet to start her on prescription arthritis medication for dogs. If cost is a concerned look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. Discuss with your vet about starting her on Novox which is the generic for Rimadyl and cheaper the other medications. In the meantime, begin to supplement with Cosequin (glucosamine); you can buy Cosequin online or in your local pet store, give at label dose.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian