Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I wanted to ask about neutering. My rat terrier has an

appointment to get neutered in...
I wanted to ask about neutering. My rat terrier has an appointment to get neutered in Nov when he's 6 months. But I'm not sure if it's too early because Ive read that it would interfere with his growth later on and can lead to other issues. Is that true?
9/19/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi again! Honestly, I recommend neutering male dogs at 6 months of age. If he was my dog, I wouldn't hesitate to neuter him at 6 months of age. It can be the big difference in getting them to not start marking with urine. If they get older and start to become sexually mature, then they can learn to urine mark and this can be very hard to break them of. I again would have no problems neutering him at 6 months of age. For the very large breed dogs, there is the argument that being intact longer can help to fill them out more - but in all honesty, this is more of a show situation.

Oh I see. I've been asking around and figured I should get another vet's opinion as well. Is it concerning that his other testicle seems to be stuck in his abdomen? My vet said that it just means she will have to make a second incision.

If the second testicle hasn't descended, that is called a cryptorchid situation. Those are definitely ones that should be neutered as that testicle not being in the scrotum further down the road could be an issue. Inside the body it is at a higher temperature and more prone to becoming a specific type of tumor that produces estrogen and can feminize them. This is something that is a minor risk way, way, way down the road (when they are middle aged to older typically). The second testicle may come down a little or it may get to the inguinal ring. Your vet will be able to find it at the time of surgery.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Oooh ok that makes more sense now. Thank you for the thorough explanation.

No problem! I hope all goes well for the upcoming procedure! Take care.

Thank you
No problem!!!