Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 12 year old Mountain Cur mix who started knuckling…

Customer Question
I have a 12...

I have a 12 year old Mountain Cur mix who started knuckling her right hind leg and wore her nails down. Shortly after that, she started knuckling her left hind leg and now has noticeable weakness in both legs. She wobbles, has difficulty getting into and out of the car and also getting up from a prone position. This has happened somewhat rapidly and my vet suggested that it was a neurological occurrence and that without testing, it was not possible to determine what was going on.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Maddie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maddie?

Such as??

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns regarding Maddie.

I'm sorry to hear that her condition is declining. From your description, I agree this sounds like a neurological condition where the nerves to both of her back legs are affected.

What questions can I answer for you regarding Maddie?

Is this a common occurrence in this particular breed of dog? She is a rescue and obviously not a pure bred, but I have never encountered this condition before and I have had many dogs over the years.
I would prefer this e-mail conversation. She isn't in pain, looks forward to her walk everyday, but it is becoming more difficult for her. Will this condition deteriorate until she is unable to stand/walk and how rapidly will this manifest itself?

Since we do not have a definitive diagnosis for Maddie, it is difficult to know if she has a condition that is breed predisposed. Hind limb neuropathy can be caused by spinal arthritis, spinal masses or other conditions that cause the nerves to the hind limbs to be pinched and decrease in function. These condition are not particularly breed predisposed.

Is hind limb neuropathy common in large breed dogs (she is about 74 lbs.)? And is there any treatment or ?? which might slow this condition to allow her more mobility for a longer period of time? Am giving her glucosamine/chondroitin and was also using "snip its", but neither seem to be helping at all. They are not for neurological problems, but thought they might help.

H​ind limb neuropathy is more common in large breed dogs than small breed. Treatment would depend on the cause of the affected nerves. My first recommendation would be to have xrays done to rule in/out spinal arthritis (spondylosis). A mass of the spine might also be seen on xrays. Treatment would depend on what is found, but unfortunately, once muscle loss and weakness has begun, prognosis for this to return is very poor.

Joint supplements can be helpful for her knees or hips, but unfortunately, it will not reverse the nerve effects she is experiencing.

I'm sorry her condition has become progressive.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!