Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I'm just waiting for blood results for Lyme's disease in my…

Customer Question
I'm just waiting for...

I'm just waiting for blood results for Lyme's disease in my 6 year old Collie. what we fear is that she has either suffered a stroke or has brain lesions. It's funny, but we almost hope that is what it is, and not something more serious. She is almost lame on her right side, and has lost most vision in her right eye. My question, as we sit here tonite with much anxiety and worry, is, can a dog recover from a stroke? I forgot to ask the vet, and can't find anything online about strokes in dogs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She was otherwise healthy and happy up until 1 week ago, no other health issues. She looses balance now, and is banging into things. No fever, bowels normal, slightly off food, but still eating some. Drinking normally. Panting was increased, although that is better tonite. the vet prescribed Gabapentin

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 9 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. Your question just showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay. My name is***** have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is believed that stokes in dogs is rare but I see quite a few of them and my own dog had a massive stroke last year and didn't make it. Fortunately, though, many dogs start to show improvement after a stroke in just a week or so. Many even recover completely though others will have some sign that continues to be apparent. You are correct that there is not a lot of information on line about strokes. Here is one site though.

http://vetspecialists.co.uk/Default.aspx?PageID=2123716&A=SearchResult&SearchID=402024&ObjectID=2123716&ObjectType=1

Now vestibular disease can also cause some symptoms such as balance problems. Symptoms of vestibular disease include standing with legs spread out, swaying, head tilt, abnormal eye movement, walking sideways, falling over and may include vomiting. There are a few things that can cause this condition such as an ear infection, some medications and old age. Have your Vet check your dog for this condition if these symptoms seem to fit. Here are some great sites on this condition:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vestibular_disease.html

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/vestibular.html

The good news is that if this is the problem and it is due to old age, the condition normally resolves itself over a few weeks. Your vet will most likely prescribe dramamine or bonine to help with the symptoms. You can read about dramamine and bonine usage, precautions and dosage here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/dimenhydrinate-dramamine

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/meclizine-bonine-antivert

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 8 months ago

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.