Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I adopted my dog over eight months ago and she has been

Customer Question
undergoing heartworm treatment. My only...
I adopted my dog over eight months ago and she has been undergoing heartworm treatment. My only concern is that she is currently on Advantage Multi, but I'm wondering if she should be taking something else a bit stronger. I tried using Interceptor, but she ended up vomiting, lost oxygen, and needed to be placed on fluids. She did also take Bravecto and doxycycline within a three to four hour span when the incident happened.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Sara, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Sara. Heartworm cases can be complicated. Is she still undergoing treatment or is she finished? Do you happen to know if she has microfilaria?

She is still undergoing treatment. She's currently taking Advanatge Multi once a month. I believe the vet did the test around January, but haven't retested since.

The Advantage Multi is a good choice for heartworm prevention. She shouldn't need anything else. Why do you think she should switch? Or why do you not think the Advantage Multi is adequate.

She is becoming more tired each day that passes. Every so often, she coughs. She struggles to go up a flight of steps. She starting to sleep more and we go on less walks.

So, it may be that she is having a difficult time with the treatment. When was her last treatment and if she is on the 3 shot series, where in the process is she? What medications is she on for post treatment?

She is about to take her next topical treatment in just a few days. She is not on the immiticide treatment. She is only on the topical treatment, nothing else.

Hmmm, I am not familiar with a topical treatment. What is the treatment protocol????? Is there some reason she can't have immiticide?

So you are doing a slow kill method.... Is this because she is too sick to undergo traditional treatment?

The topical treatment is the Advantage Multi once a month. When she took the Interceptor in the very beginning along with the Bravecto and Doxycycline, she became very sick and the veterinarian didn't want to risk her getting worse if they would try the immiticide.

OK, let's back up a minute. Usually heartworm dogs are staged first. This involves x-rays, and bloodwork. After the stage is determined, the protocol for the immiticide is determined. It is completely possible that the Doxycycline or the Bravecto caused her to feel ill. These drugs commonly do this. Has any staging been done? Do you have a referral hospital near you, that would have a criticalist on staff for any adverse events if she did undergo immiticide treatment?

She had a heartworm test done in January and again in July. That is the only thing they ever did for her. She was tested positive both times. I would like to try the immiticide treatment, but I am concerned she will have a negative reaction to the injection. There is a veterinarian I can go to in case she has an adverse effect.

Alright, so here is what i would recommend. Have a conversation with your vet if you want to stay with them. Discuss staging her for treatment. I would also throw in the conversation, that if they are not comfortable trying to treat her, is there a referral hospital that they would like to refer her to if they aren't comfortable. Maybe she can't have the whole treatment, maybe she can but we won't know until she is staged. She is very young, I really think the treatment could be done. It takes years of being infected with heartworm to make them too sick to be treated. Where are you from?

I'm from Orlando, Florida. I will need to take a look into it and speak with my current veterinarian to see if they are willing to try.

Oh, ok, too far for me to help!! I would definitely have a conversation but give them an out so if they aren't comfortable, they can send you somewhere with her. At 2 years old she should be a candidate for the immiticide treatment. Hope all is well in Orlando, and Maria doesn't cause any problems there for you. We are waiting for Jose here in Mass (we're right on the coast but should be pretty mild). Have a great night and let me know if you have more questions in the next couple of days.

Dr. Sara

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Sara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Hi Gabriella,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Hope. How is everything going?
Dr. Sara
She is doing well, haven't been able to speak with my current veterinarian about alternating her heartworm treatment. She's been feeling a little ill, having diarrhea and a sensitive stomach currently. I will inform him and see if he's okay with the possibility of switching her medication or adding a few options. Thank you for your assistance, I appreciate it very much.