Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She went to the vet today because she has had a persistant…

Customer Question
She went to the...

She went to the vet today because she has had a persistant cough. The vet said she had 1 faint white spot on her lung and her heart was rounded and a little enlarged but not bad. She is a 14 yr old westie. He said the white spot could be signs of aging. What are your thoughts? Also she has a narrow spot on her trachea. Ive read about westies having a collapsed trachea

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the Westie's name?

Sophia She coughs mostly in the morning and night. The vet gave us a cough suppression med. Said she had no fluid in her lungs and sent u home.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sophia?

She just had a full round of blood work 6 weeks ago and everything was normal ranges. She eats a ton and is not lathargic. She still runs around. The vet put her on a round of antibotics 6 weeks ago and it seemed to lessen the cough but its not gone She also takes apoquel for allergies and a hormonal pill to help her stop tinkling and having accidents in the house.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
9/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you directly, we do see changes in a 14 year old that we describe as "old dog lungs" which describes increased bronchovascular markings in the lungfields such as that white spot. There should be many of those spots, however, if that were the case. I would need to review Sophia's X-rays to be more specific for you. It's a good idea to have those films reviewed by a specialist veterinary radiologist whom most of us have on retainer. The cost to you is usually minimal but the additional information gleaned can be invaluable. Chronic coughing in a 14 year old will be caused by advanced cardiopulmonary disorders - heart failure, chronic sterile bronchitis, heartworm disease, or neoplasia in the chest cavity. If there's any question that her heart should be incriminated - and there should be - a blood test called cardiac troponin I (cTnI) can be helpful in clarifying if heart disease is present and a cardiac ultrasound (echocardiogram) can be confirmative. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?