Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog has been constipated for 3 days. I am in Fort Myers and…

Customer Question
Dog has been constipated...

Dog has been constipated for 3 days. I am in Fort Myers and all the Vets are closed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Beau

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Beau?

No he was a rescue dog 5 years. Abou 12 yrs old with a heart murmer only

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

What is he doing to make you think he is constipated?

Any vomiting?

How is his appetite?

He strains in the evacuate position and all that comes out is a part of a stool which I have to wash out. He eats well and sleeps well. We have all been under strain with power outage and clean up from the hurricane.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like he has some inflammation in his colon (colitis). Chances are it is due to stress or something he ingested. You can try adding either Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin to each meal to see if that helps. Usually the increased fiber does help with that. If the stool is loose, you can try a kaolin/pectin anti-diarrhea suspension. You can get these at pet stores and pharmacies. I am not sure what is open around you. If you don't have that but have some Pepto Bismol, you can use that for loose stool as long as there is no blood in it. 1 teaspoon per 20 lbs of body weight every 4-6 hours for 24 hours only is usually safe. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Hi Bill,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Beau is doing and to see if you have any other questions.