Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My og has severe anemia. can you recommend a treatment, a…

Customer Question
My og...

My og has severe anemia . can you recommend a treatment

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

A small dog.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Severe anemia

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

No sensitive areas but very pale gums and listlisnes and lack of appetite

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name and age?

Age 6 years name trixie

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Trixie

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm very sorry to hear about this situation with Trixie. Have you taken her to your vet to diagnose the anemia? Pale gums can be due to anemia, heart issues, pulmonary issues, and in general the body being very stressed or hypothermic.

apparently some red cells attack other cells

Ok. When the immune system is attacking the red blood cells, it is called immune mediated hemolytic anemia (IMHA). It can be due to many different causes, but typically it is idiopathic - the immune system just starts to do this on its own for no good reason. IMHA is an extremely serious disease. About 50% of dogs that get it will succumb to their disease despite appropriate care. I hate to say this so bluntly, but I feel it is important to have owners know that so they realize how serious of a disease it is. Did your vet start therapy for it?

my vet has started therapy he is using cortizone.

Steroid therapy is the mainstay of the treatment regimen. IT is trying to suppress the immune system so the red blood cells aren't destroyed. When using steroids, a lot of times a stomach protectant is started up too (famotidine, sucralfate, omeprazole being examples) to help protect the stomach to lessen the chance of a stomach ulcer from forming. With IMHA, sometimes the steroid alone isn't enough and another immune suppressant is started like azathioprine. One of the biggest helps to treating this disease is a blood transfusion to get new red blood cells into the body to support it while hopefully the medications start to take effect. Here is a great link I want you to read over on this disease.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1390