Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has deep coloured bruising on groin area,no bleeding…

my dog has deep coloured...
my dog has deep coloured bruising on groin area,no bleeding but i can tell he is uncomfortable
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/18/2017
Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there, can you please give me a bit more information?

Age/breed of dog?

Signs of bleeding anywhere else?

History of trauma to the area?

Thanks,

Dr. Paul

Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Dog Veterinarian
hello Dr. Paul,he is a 10 yr old labradoodle,he has had it before about 4 months ago,the vet prescribed steroids but couldn't really say what the cause was. It seemed to work but now it's back.Do you think maybe pulled groin ?
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

OK, thanks for the information.

If it responded to a course of steroids, I worry that it may have been a condition called Immune-Mediated Thrombocytopenia, in which the body's immune system attacks platelets, causing clotting problems which then can cause easy bruising of the skin. Steroids are the first line of defense to suppress the immune response. Without the steroids or another immune-suppressing drug, the condition can recur.

Proving this, of course, would require running bloodwork to prove the low platelet count.

It is also possible that he simply did something to injure himself and got a bruise. If that is the case, it should respond to rest and pain management, as needed.

If he is not improving with time, or if the bruising is spreading or if you see other signs of bleeding (bleeding in eyes, nosebleed, blood in urine, blood in stool, etc), you should get him in immediately for bloodwork and treatment.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Dr. Paul

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Denver ER Doc
thanks for following up,looks like it is a platelet issue.We are having bloodwork done and the vet has prescribed a spray steroid,so we will see what happens.Thanks again.

Good, thanks for the follow-up. I am glad you got answers and started some therapy.

Dr. Paul

Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Dog Veterinarian