Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Two weeks ago, I splashed some Frontine on right eye of my 9…

Customer Question
Two weeks ago, I...

Two weeks ago, I splashed some Frontine on right eye of my 9 year old lab. Two days later, the vet saw him and prescribed 2mg prednisone over a 7 day period; cephalexin 500mg, two x 'day and ointment 2x day for 10 days. Now he has a pea size soft lump on the lower eyelid that nlooks like a picture I saw here of Chalazion.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

Timmy. Question: Can I just treat it with warm compresses?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Timmy?

No; his vision is good. The lump does not seem to bother him. It is a light reddish color.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Can you post a picture here of what you're seeing? Is he keeping that eye open normally?

Hard to post picture. It looks exactly like this (3rd from left): https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=dog+eye+chalazion+picture&fr=yhs-avg-fh_lsonsw&hspart=avg&hsimp=yhs-fh_lsonsw&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.allthingscanid.org%2Fchalazion.png#id=2&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.allthingscanid.org%2Fchalazion.png&action=clickThe eye seems normal, this is on the eyelid. He has no problem with the eye itself. Treatment?
I am 82 years old, do not hear well on phone, better to write.

That is good that the eye seems normal. If it is the chalazion, then doing warm compresses on it would be the best for it. That can help to soften the secretions in it to help it start to get expressed. Don't squeeze / put too much pressure on it. The other possibility with growths on the eye lid are meibomian gland adenomas. These are growths associated with the meibomian glands and they are there and aren't a big issue unless they physically start to irritate the eye. They are dealt with by surgery.

Sorry about the phone prompt as that was the system and not myself. For being 82, you are doing awesome navigating the computer world! Good job!

Here is a great link on chalazions in dogs.

https://wagwalking.com/condition/chalazion

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian