Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's always putting his in the air like something is

Customer Question
He's always putting his...

He's always putting his butt in the air like something is hurting. after a few minutes he puts it down

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Klaus he will be 2 in december

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Klaus?

Almost 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Klaus?

He also licks his paws a lot

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Ok

I am very sorry to hear about your pup Klaus frequently extending his front legs and chest down with his rear end up in the air and licking his paws.

The front legs and chest down, rear end up in the air position is called a prayer bow and is often an indication of abdominal pain in a dog. It is a stretching motion attempting to relieve pressure/pain in the abdomen.

It is likely that your pup is experiencing some reflux or abnormal motility, or painful intestinal spasms that are more than the usual. In severe cases this can be linked to pancreatitis which is a painful inflammation of the pancreas leading to increased enzyme leakage.

Possible causes of nausea and abdominal pain include a change in diet, dietary sensitivities or allergies, or eating things that they should not like too many fatty table scraps or garbage, bones etc. Addison's which is a poorly functioning adrenal gland is another possibility for waxing and waning vomiting and nausea. Metabolic organ failures (kidney or liver disease), pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease or even infiltrative cancers are possible causes as well.

Has he eaten anything he should not have recently (toy pieces, bones, garbage)?

Any changes in food or treats?

You can give him an acid reducer to try and settle his stomach. Either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach. These can be used long term if necessary as they are very safe.

If her nausea and abdominal pain continues then he may need injectable medication from his veterinarian to get his stomach upset under control.

So watch him for continued symptoms even with the acid reducers, blood in his stool or vomit or a fever (more than 103.5F rectally), a tense painful belly or lack of appetite. If any of those occur it is time to seek hands on veterinary care.

If this has been a repeated problem for him consider whether he has been getting different treats or lots of table food, or have you been feeding a different diet?

If you stop table food and treats, feed one food only, and his discomfort continues even with the acid reducers, then you may wish to consider using a using a low irritant food, like Hills i/d or Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets EN, or a hypoallergenic food such as Hills z/d or Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets HA long term. He may have a dietary allergy, which would explain his paw licking too or a sensitive stomach. It would also be a good idea to have blood tests done as well to make sure there isn't an underlying metabolic problem like early organ failure, pancreatitis or Addison's disease present. Some dogs lick as a way to self comfort too.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****