Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

DR SALKIN// SALKIN // SALKIN // SALKIN // Our spaniel still

DR MICHAEL SALKIN// SALKIN //...
DR MICHAEL SALKIN// SALKIN // SALKIN // SALKIN // Our spaniel still has not shown any improvement with the growth on both of his front legs in spite of the keflix, med, shampoo, and creams - now he has been issued another antibiotic here but I am wondering , Can I use TRIAMCINOLONE ACE ETC CREAM .5 % on him ? NOthing else is working at all . If anything, the growths are larger size now. We have been affected by Hurricane Irma, no power, ugh, no computer until now, like primitive living almost. The vets here still do not definitively diagnose this growth. Is there such a thing as a Dog Dermatologist ?
9/18/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

That's a lot of SALKINs!!! Yes, please see here: www.acvd.org/ Florida pets keep these specialists in business. There's nothing harmful in trying the triamcinolone cream. Can you upload new photos of these to our conversation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Again, been out on errands all day, glad to try this cream - nothing so far has made any impact whatsoever. The vet tech told me not to shave those areas anymore - I had again shaved it so they could have a better view of it including size etc. etc. and to better apply the creams before. No idea if Rascal was sensitive to this or not, no reaction from the dog, I'd think the vet here would have seen this kind of thing before, surely my Rascal is not the only dog who ever developed this strange growth ? I will try to get new photos to you or re- send the originals - it has not changed except I think has gotten a bit larger.
Very frustrated about this. Both the vet we have used for 25 years with excellent success and the new vet he hired to fill in for him - both prescribed exactly the same way. Antibiotic, medicated shampoo, cream stuff - ah - this time also prescribed prednisone for Rascal. Now I need a vet for myself - yucky head cold the first day our a c is back on after a week of sitting in front of a large fan and taking no warm water showers. I can't say ''cold showers'' because the water was far from cold even without electricity here this past hurricane week. Will try this cream of course, it was just prescribed ( for me ). Is there anything you might suggest or think Of ? How about swimming every day in the ocean salt water ? I am leaving this coming Saturday again for another 2 weeks on the ocean at Pompano Beach and thinking to take Rascal so he can swim every day. He loves the ocean, loves to swim, we have his lift jacket and long l o n g cord t tie to it just in case. Always afraid he will get too far out and lose his way, besides now he's getting up in years, not the energy he used to have , like me. I am worried about this cursed black growth stuff on him , yes. All else is ok so far. When we had the H. Irma threat of surf surge ( we are in the mandatory evacuation zone ) no place to go with 9 dogs but on the roof. We welded cages down on the roof in case we had to get up there via the attic with the dogs so we would have a place to put the dogs not to fall off and float away. Now we need a new roof - its like a sprinkler system . Ask me if I care just in case you don't know the answer to that one. So grateful to have power and internet again so I can reach you. The first antibiotic for Rascal was Keflex now its Cipro
its not clear to me why an antibiotic for a skin growth. ? 13 K ratings ? wow popular and productive person .

Thank you for yet another "fun" story. I don't know why an antibotic was prescribed either. I don't think salt water will affect these growth one way or the other. Sorry for the delay. I was hiking up and down a mountain.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Up and down a mountain is the only way to go. So we agree that an antibiotic is ? questionable in this case. I believe not necessary. There is no infection of any kind, just this black growth. His ears are clear, eyes, etc. except that he has cataracts now has to have surgery to remove them. What about the prednisone ? I don't connect the dots on that one either. fyi I already climbed my mountain, almost to the very top, and I can see back, behind me, down into the valleys. I can see all the roads and paths and were they all lead. I did try to tell my children which road looked like the best one, the most successful one, the safest and happiest road, but they mostly took other paths. The higher up this mountain I go, the clearer it all becomes. Including the roads that I took myself and where they took me.

Yes, just another instance of the abuse of antibiotics. I don't see the need for prednisone either. You're a poet/philospher, too! Have a wonderful time on Pompano Beach!

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am taking Rascal with us, know a vet there and will go with the dog, also will look up dog dermatologists in the area. Its only for 2 weeks then back home for a week and off again. I need to review what prednisone is used for most effectively. This condition I have is called Brain Sieve Loss or BSL. I appreciate your confirming my own suspicions about these meds for Rascal. Again.

Prednisone is a glucocorticoid (steroid) used mainly as an anti-inflammatory and antihistaminic in dogs. At higher doses it's immunosuppressive and so used for immune-mediated disorders. That's a nice way of saying "brain farts" which have become more and more frequent now that I've just turned 70. Please tell me why mountains have to always go up and down. It's a nuisance when I'm hiking...

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it once again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
AGAIN, you have given me pause to smile - I used to say that we can only know how high is up if we have gone equal the distance down, low. For the Life Mountain, I only know of Up, Don't know anybody yet who has found a way back down. I kept trying, kept looking, but I keep going up, up , up, and the top is in sight for me already. Nice view.

Well said. The way up is sure getting harder on my legs. I rest a lot on the way up. I'm the guy sitting on the side of the trail. Did I ever tell you that one time a rattler came to visit me while I was sitting down? I guess it figured I was too big to eat and left soon after it arrived.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jolly Roger Rascal. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian