Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Quandry: My friend has dogs and we have dogs. We feed

Customer Question
Quandry: My friend...

Quandry: My friend has dogs and we have dogs. We feed ourdogs the same things. .Her does are terribly thin. No worms ..no parasites......bloodwork normal. She kept 2 puppies of mine and they came back horribly thin. We have the remaining puppies from the litter and they are well rounded and fat. We feed the SAME thing. She is an EXCELLENT care giver to her dogs. If parasites are not the issue (all her dogs are thin...all diferrent breeds - 3 wolf dogs, two belgian shepards), giardia is not this, coccidia is not the issue..poop is normal (but there is occasional diarrhea at her house). Could it be the city water? Lead poisoning?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the puppy ate?

The exact same as mine - Fromme Grain free.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

No. The puppies are 14 weeks now ( she took care of 2 for 2 weeks) have had their shots...worming....3 vet visits so far. But ALL of her dogs are rail thin. I know for a fact she feeds them ALOT. and STILL they are thin. Not one..but all. I do not think it is a pancreatic issue...because ALL of them have it.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 11 months ago
jadedangel57

The first thing to have done is testing for a protozoan infection of which coccidia and giardia are just a couple of them. I say this because proper testing involves testing at least three consecutive fecal samples as the cysts that spread protozoan infections are only shed intermittently and thus would not be in EVERY stool sample. So even if tested, it is possible a protozoan infection is to blame.

Now most city water is tested but from time to time city water is contaminated. It would be to her advantage to have the water tested. Most county health departments do have procedure in place to test water. In addition, the city water might be fine but the pipes in her house might be contaminated. Read about this here:

http://www.medicaldaily.com/drinking-water-can-become-contaminated-viruses-bacteria-through-leaky-pipes-study-337018

All it takes is one dog with an infection to eliminate in the yard and the rain washes the cysts down into puddles or other standing water including lakes and streams for them to become infected.

Since all the dogs in the household are affected it is likely something in the environment such as the water or poisonous plants in the yard that they may be ingesting.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 10 months ago

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.