Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My precious wee dog developed diarrhea in evening did not…

Customer Question
My precious wee dog...

My precious wee dog developed diarrhea in evening did not eat then and developed worse diarrhea over night passing blood late at night or early A M died suddenly at 8:30 AM, she was a Yorkie shitsu cross had developed diabetes and cataracts about a year ago. Was on insulin 3 AM & P M hated her diet food she was full of life that day we were playing chase each other in the park she loved to tole around in the grass and showed no sign of distress until about 6:30 Pm right after vet closed we were in a remote area with no emergency services open. I am totally devastated by her loss

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the Yorkie's name and age?

Maggie muggins she was 12 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maggie?

She developed mustard poop around 7 PM _8 pm then darker with a bit of what looked like a dark color mucous in it . I spoke to a lady in a pet store beside the vet who could not say it looked like blood but I was wondering and recommended chix broth and tine bites of shred boiled chix. My dog would only try the broth. No water. She would lay in my arms or on her little bed Weighed about 8 lbs. I did fall asleep by accident for a bit in the early morning hours and when I woke she was passing blood and possiblu pee.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm very sorry to hear about the passing of this special friend of yours. It is never easy to lose a pet in any way. I need to ask a few questions to see if anything more stands out. Was she eating and drinking well in the days leading up to last night? Ddi she have any vomiting? Could she have had any access to a plant called a Sago plant? It looks like a little palm tree. You can google some pictures of it.

At some point in the early Am about 4:00 or 5:00 she was passing more blood and clear liquid. She tried to hide behind a curtain she was still moving about a little bit. Later I was holding her and she was sort of regurgitating something but never spit it out ? Blood
She was on Vancouver island don't remember sago plant anywhere but she did drink water that came from a mountain stream.

At my ER, I've had sudden cases of dogs dying in a similar way when they eat a very poisonous plant called the Sago plant. It is sold in a lot of stores and is basically deadly for dogs. It causes acute bloody stools and death. Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis can also cause very sudden bloody stools and vomiting. It is very serious, but it typically doesn't cause death in that period. When bloody stools start to happen, the other worry is a situation called DIC (disseminated intravascular coagulation) as it happens when the body is very ill and it starts to shut down. When it happens, it is very, very bad. Being on that island, could she have found something to eat that caused all this? The Sago plant is more tropical so I wouldn't expect it to be wild in that environment. Could she have found some other toxin?

We were on a hike in a Douglas fur forest that did have unknown small plants not known to me she drank from s small rivulet of water that was wild and unknown to us. Usually caught her before shdrank water carried her own but that day could have been something in the stream we had never been there before

I wouldn't feel that the water itself would be that bad of a situation. Typically giardia is the worst thing that comes from that. It can cause diarrhea and vomiting, but sudden death wouldn't be the outcome there. Could she have found some toxic mushroom that we'll never know about?

I did catch her drinking the water did not catch her eating anything else the water she drank wasobot 4 days or so before she became I'll maybe as much as 5 days before

I have seen those cases where sometimes they just find something that wasn't seen. Could she have had some unknown cancer in her colon that suddenly became compromised and started bleeding? This is another possibility.

She died at 8:39 that morning she retched three breif moments gave a deep sigh and went limp just before that occurred she put her little head against my neck I was holding her little head and it sort of flopped I started cpr right away tried for 30 -40min she had a gush of blood from her mouth and I reaalized she was really gone. Took her to the Vet at9:AMcould not speak to tell him what happened that day. I do believe I have those times mixed up but want every thing to matter she was the most darling beloved. Thing in my life. I can't call can't speak .

A good friend has been lost. Trying to cope with not having her is not easy right now and seems impossible. Please know that you didn't fail her. Her body had something very critical happening that caused her to fail. She passed quickly. The special memories of her will stay with you always.

I forgot the park did have a notice re dogs not drinking the water, forgot saw that on a sign somewhere I think. I may have pulled that sign from an online search I really don't know where those words came from is it still a possibility that morning she was so lively and frisky rolling in the grass and she loved to play chase!

Could there have been something in the water? It would surprise me if it was something that would be tied into this situation.

Is it possible poison?

Maybe

What else do you think it could be are their many possibilities?

The possibilities are a toxicity, sago plant ingestion, HGE, DIC, heat stroke, and tumor being at the top of the list.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian