Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 14 month old toy poodle that is pregnant with maybe…

Customer Question
I have a 14...

I have a 14 month old toy poodle that is pregnant with maybe one or two pups because she is not huge but is 63 days after being impregnated on her first heat

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She is doing the shivering, restlessness, rubbing her vagina on the floor but no contractions and has been having diarrhea for the last three days

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
She has stopped the shivering and restlessness for the moment but had another diarrhea discharge. My wife seems to think she is dying. She has not released any clear fluid, what do we do ?
9/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 9 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

There are three stages to labor. During the first stage the cervix dilates and contractions begin. Your female will be uncomfortable, restless, pace and pant. This lasts 6-18 hours. During the second part of labor, your female's contractions begin in ernest. Her water breaks and puppies are delivered usually after 10-30 minutes of pushing. All puppies are born during this stage.

The third stage of labor is after all pups have been delivered and is when a dog still has small contractions to expell fluids and/or placentas from the uterus. You can read more about this here:

http://www.2ndchance.info/caninelaborstages.htm

A dog’s gestational period (pregnancy) is approximately 63 days from breeding. One way of knowing when your dog with have her puppies is to take her temperature twice daily at the same time each day as her due date gets close. Keep a record of this. A dog’s normal temperature is between 101-102.5F degrees. Her temperature may rise and fall during this time, but once her temperature falls below 99 degrees, she should go into labor in the next 24 hours. The temperature drop is due to a reduction in serum progesterone levels and signals that the dog will start labor within 24 hours. You can read about this at:

http://www.labbies.com/reproduction1.htm

You may also notice her breasts swelling during this last week of pregnancy and some milk leakage. Dogs will usually become restless and increase their digging and nesting behavior during the last week. You will notice an increase in her panting as well as a mucous discharge. You may also notice some abdominal contractions or rippling as her time grows closer. Do not be surprised if your dog is very restless and vomits as few times during this last week. Once your dog's temperature has dropped, please do not leave her alone in case of complications. As she enters actual labor you should be able to see her contractions and most dogs will begin looking at their hindquarters. An increase of licking of the genitals is normal before and during labor. Be sure and have an emergency Vet’s phone number readily available just in case of an emergency during the birthing of the puppies. Here is an excellent site about whelping.

http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medical/whelping.html

Some other signs that my dogs always seem to exhibit are lack of appetite, frequent urination and frequent small, runny bowel movements in the day before labor starts. Frequently my dogs will start looking at their rears when the first real contractions start.

Now there are some other things that can cause a dog to have trembling which would include eclampsia. While normally this occurs once the pups are nursing, it can occur close to full term as well. If your dog is experiences muscle weakness, muscle spasms, tremors or seizures, limb paralyses, she needs to be seen now as it is possible she has eclampsia. Calcium supplements, Tums, cottage cheese or goat’s milk may help, but it might not reverse the symptoms quickly enough.

Here is sites with more information on this.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2109&aid=1505

http://www.veterinaryworld.org/Vol.4/January%20-%202011/Eclampsia%20in%20the%20Dog.pdf

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

So do we have pups yet? Was my answer helpful?