Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We cannot get the first time mother to nurse her 1 puppy so…

Customer Question
We cannot get the...

We cannot get the first time mother to nurse her 1 puppy so far. She seems scared of the puppy and is still anxious and panting. Newborn is healthy and searching, but mom just cowers away from her baby. How long should we wait until we should be concerned? What should we feed baby If we cannot get mom to nurse?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?

No, not that we can think of.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Denver ER Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Do you have confirmation that the mother only had one puppy inside?

When was the puppy born?

Thanks,

Dr. Paul

far it seems like it..this is a neighbor's dog, whom has not experienced this before. I have delivered many pups over the years, and have never had this kind of trouble with the mom. Baby was born 2 hrs ago.
Usually, I can feel more pups or movement and am not seeing anything in mom. So, we could eventually have more,as Mom is still panting.
I really can't pay more for an extra phone call at this time.

Not to worry, I am not available for phone consultations.

Correct, I would certainly be concerned that Mom has more puppies to deliver and that is why she is panting and not interested in the puppy. If your neighbor did not pursue any kind of prenatal care, they may not know.

If not, it is not uncommon for mothers of singleton puppies to not accept them. If she does not nurse within the next 2-3 hours, you need to consider bottle-feeding or tube-feeding the baby to try to keep it alive. If that is the case, this will need to be done every 2-4 hours overnight until you can have the bitch examined by a vet tomorrow to see if there are other puppies coming.

Dr. Paul

in the process of all this, the mother is finally laying down and sleeping. What do we nurse the newborn puppy with? What do we feed it, in the meantime?

You need a puppy milk replacer, such as KMR, or you can make it at home in the meantime.

This site has good info on neonate care, including a recipe for homemade formula if you need it: https://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=576&S=0&EVetID=0

Dr. Paul

We might have to make it tonight ... I do not think a local grocery store would have it? It is 11:51 pm here and no pet shops are open. Unless a local 24 he vet has it and will sell it?

It is worth calling them to see, but they may not sell it to you without an emergency exam. If that is the case, then hit up a 24hr grocery store and make the homemade version.

Dr. Paul

Ok. We will call and see. Then take them to vet in am if no improvement.
Thanks...

Sounds like a reasonable plan. You might also call the local 24hr grocery stores or pharmacies, as one of them may have KMR in their pet section.

Dr. Paul

Ok. Thanks!

Happy to help. How did it go overnight?

Dr. Paul

Good. Mother does have milk, but no interest in feeding, so we hold mom and allow baby to feed every two hours. Baby has no issues latching on. Mom still cleans baby, just does not feed

Not too uncommon for Mom to not be very attentive with a singleton pup, but glad to hear that she has milk. With only one pup providing stimulus for her to let down milk, she may dry up early. I recommend getting the pup used to bottlefeeding as well, in case you need to supplement her with formula in the near future.

With any luck, Mom will at least tolerate nursing so that you don't have to be there every two hours.

Nice work!!

Dr. Paul

Thank you! Looks like only one. But, I think we are good at this point! We have formula and bottles in case. Thanks very much!Shannon

Happy to help. Just let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Dr. Paul

Hi there, checking back in to see if my reply made it through and to see if you need anything else?

Thanks,

Dr. Paul