Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Parvo in puppies - vaccines and related questions

Why do puppies need multiple...
Why do puppies need multiple parvo vaccines? Is it possible for a breeder to give one shot of parvo vaccination and 14 days later the dog have parvo? Is it possible for one dog to get parvo and others in the litter not?
Is it possible to get the first vaccine for parvo on the 20th and show signs of the disease by the 4th of the next month?
9/18/2017
Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there, I am an experienced emergency vet and happy to help you. Let me try to address your questions one at a time:

1) Puppies typically need three parvo vaccines in order to induce full immunity. A puppy's immune system is not fully mature, and it takes more than one stimulus to induce the immune system to mount a full response. This is similar to the reason that children often need a series of vaccinations. Due to the nature of vaccines, some are killed and some are modified live, meaning live virus but modified to not cause disease. The immune system reacts differently to these depending on how strong a responce they induce, so multiple vaccinations are often needed.

2) Yes, it is absolutely possible for a dog to develop parvo two weeks after being vaccinated. A single vaccination only offers partial immunity. It is also possible that the dog was too young for the vaccine, that the breeder did not handle or give the vaccine properly, or that it was a bad batch of vaccines.

3) Yes, every puppy's immune system and exposure level is different, so it is possible, but not very common, for one puppy to get parvo when the others don't.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you!

Welcome!

Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Dog Veterinarian
We bought a puppy on a Sunday and the dog had signs of Parvo 2 days later by Wednesday it was in the hospital. Could we have infected the dog in those days and it show signs?

No, it would have been infected prior to your adoption.

How long is the incubation period?

7-14 days