Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Pomeranian has had diarrhea for a few days just saw blood

in his stool and not...
My Pomeranian has had diarrhea for a few days just saw blood in his stool and not eating. He is lifting his butt in the air.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Pomeranian's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 9 years okd
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gucci?
Customer: Old
9/18/2017
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for your question. I am Dr. Nicole and I am working on a response for you.

Thank you! Please let me know if you have any additional questions

I am sorry to hear about Gucci.

Do you have any idea why the diarrhea started? Was he offered a different diet, new food, treats etc?

Does he seem fairly energetic and happy otherwise?

Is he drinking okay?

So there are a few things that you can try to help resolve the diarrhea. One of my favorite approaches it a more natural approach. You can purchase some original metamucil from the store and 1-2 tsp to his food twice daily. This should help to firm up the stool.

The blood is just typically a sign that his colon is really irritated. That might be part of the reason why he is lifting his butt in the air. The other possibility is that his anal glands might be bothering him. Dogs can have infected anal glands, but they will often scoot or lick around the anal area.

How long has he not been eating?

Is he still drinking? It is important that he stays hydrated.

As far as foods, you try offering him some bland foods such as low sodium chicken broth with water added, chicken breast, rice, and yogurt. That is assuming that he does not have any food sensitivities or allergies.

I think he had food that might of been bad possibly, He has not eaten today just today. He has drank some water.
He doesn't look in pain but it looks like something is bothering him. He is raising his butt.
He doesn't want to eat

Thank you for that information. Again, he is likely raising his back end because of discomfort from the colitis- inflammation of the colon and diarrhea. I can not tell you if he is having any problems with his anal glands but that could be a possibility. Sometimes dogs can develop growth associated with the colon and glands that can also be irritating. So if it is not resolve, you will likely have to take him in to be examined. Finally, You may want to try to give him a warm bath just to soothe that area and see if that helps him and helps him rest a little better.

If the problem is not resolving and he continues to not eat and seem uncomfortable, then I would recommend an exam to ensure all is okay and there are no problems with his glands, etc. He is a little bit older at 9, so it is important to rule out anything more serious that could be causing the diarrhea, especially if nothing has changed at home.

I always recommend that pets over the age of 7 years old have blood work completed to ensure that the organ values are all normal and that there is no underlying disease.

I would recommend that you stick with bland foods and add in the Metamucil to firm up the stool. Try some of the foods I listed above.

You can also provide a probiotic as that might help to get things back to normal quickly.

Ok do you think we should bring him to be examined based on his age?

I think that it would be wise to take him in for both reasons. 1. if he is not improving, you need to determine what the main issue is. 2. He is at an age where is should have a thorough exam and blood work. Good for both reasons.

I would not give him any human medications as many are toxic and are not recommended for dogs that are having intestinal upset.

Please let me know if that answers your questions. I know that this is a difficult situation, but just try to comfort him. Try the bath and food options...oh yeah, you can try some chicken gerber baby food too, sometimes they really like that....

If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week. Please keep me posted. I really want to hear how he is doing.

Take care and rest well.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

Ok thank you

I will be checking my messages early in the morning, so please let me know if you have any questions.

Ok will do

Good morning. I just wanted to check in with you to see how the evening went. Did you try a warm bath? Does he seem to be a little better this morning?

I would love an update if you have time and again if things are not improving, best to have him examined.

Take care,

Dr. N

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian