Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a six year old dog. She is in a false pregnancy now.

Customer Question
I have a six...

I have a six year old weenie dog. She is in a false pregnancy now. The glands in her neck will be normal one day and swollen the next. She isn't eating as much as normal and she is drinking plenty of water. Her energy is normal. But the neck glands worry me what would cause them to be swollen on day and not the nexf

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 8 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi jaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Swollen lymph nodes can be due to many causes including infections which I'll talk about further, autoimmune diseases, fungal and bacterial infections and lymphoma (cancer). You can read about the lymphatic system in the dog here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/structure-and-function-of-the-lymphatic-system-in-dogs/page2.aspx

Now you mention she is going through a false pregnancy which usually occurs a couple of months after a heat cycle. Pyometra (uterine infection) also tends to occur 50-90 days after a heat cycle. It is usually seen in older unspayed females but can be seen in any age. It is diagnosed by ultrasound showing fluid in the uterus. There are two types of Pyometra (open and closed cervix) Symptoms of open cervix Pyometra are a vaginal discharge that may be pus or bloody, lethargy, anorexia, increased thirst and urination, vomiting and diarrhea, and abdominal swelling though the dog remains fairly healthy due to the infection draining from the body. Closed cervix Pyometra symptoms are the same without much of a discharge, they appear very ill, there is usually weight loss and abdominal swelling and is much more extreme. Dehydration, shock and death can occur if not treated aggressively.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/pyometra-in-dogs/915

Pyometra in the early stages may not have many symptoms and many owners think their dog is pregnant of having a false pregnancy so this is something you may want to rule out with your vet. Since it is a massive infection you might see swollen lymph nodes as well.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner