Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We got the dog in Michigan about 3 months ago. We winter in…

Customer Question
We got the dog...

We got the dog in Michigan about 3 months ago. We winter in Arizona and since we arrived here she seems to have regressed to peeing in the house. We have taken her out every 3 to 4 hours and even got a crate, limited her water consumption. It seem she has reverted to her puppy stage

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

She is a 10 # chiuchiua

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Doesn't hurt

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Cookie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cookie?

She chew on things especially rawhide bones, and cardboard

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 11 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

I want to make sure I understand your question. Your dog is 10 years old and you got her 3 months ago when you were living in the MI house where she was doing fine. You have now taken her to Arizona house and she is having accidents.

Have you had her urine tested for a Urinary tract infection or bladder stones?

How is she doing when in a crate?

Are there any other animals or people in the home she is not used to?

The dog is less than three years old not 10. She weighs 10 pounds. She doesn't pee in the creat. Last night she was walking around the room and suddenly she squated to pee, this was as we sat in the same room. She had just been out about 1hour earlier.

Thank you for that information. So she is a younger dog but this is her first time in AZ?

Has she been tested for UTI or Stones?

Was there ever another dog in that home?

The site has shown you as being offline. The first thing I would do is drop off urine for testing of a urinary tract infection or bladder stones as this will typically have a dog need to eliminate more often. Usually dogs that are potty trained do not like to suddenly start going in a home unless they are ill. I might even check for diabetes.

If the urine is clear, from a behavior standpoint, because you have taken her somewhere new in such a short period of time since you have had her, you may need to potty train again to the new area. The stress of moving to a new place, especially for a dog that was recently rescued, may have her a bit confused. Most dogs do not leave their home unless it is permanent, and this brings on stress unless the dog is a active service dog and is constantly going to new places for a while.

If you have a crate use that. If she messes in the crate it is even more concerning of a medical issue.

The reason to contact you was to maybe avoid a visit to the local vet. Since we need to do this then ther is no since in talking to you on the phone. Thank you for your help but your advice was not helpful to avoid the local vet. Since we have to go to a local vet then this program will not be help for us that a local vet can't do. I really don't feel you services we meet our needs. Therefore I would like to cancel this membership and have my credit card refunded and cancelled. Thank you anyway.

I will put this in for a refund for you