Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We were gone all day and came home to our shepherd mix dog…

We were gone all...

We were gone all day and came home to our shepherd mix dog having a swollen left cheek. That's the only thing that's puffy. Her eye is fine, she's eating fine, drinking fine. Just not sure what it could be. She didn't have any swelling when we left this morning.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she's about 10 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dog?

No, she's been perfectly healthy, normal checkups . . .

9/18/2017
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Dog.

Just a moment while I type my response.

Acute (sudden) swelling of the face can occur for a few reasons. The most common are tooth root abscess, insect bite, or allergic reaction (though this is usually both sides of the face), .

Are you able to lift her lips and compare the teeth and gums on both sides of her mouth?

(Especially the big chewing teeth just under the swollen area of her cheek)

She's not letting me and I don't want to accidentally push on the swelling. Wouldn't chewing bother that, though?
OK, I got my husband to help me. It looks like her back tooth on that side is partially covered up with a swollen gum on that side. She's not acting like she's in pain, can I wait to get her to the vet until tomorrow?

Ok, it is possible that she has an infection to that tooth or a local allergic reaction causing swelling over that tooth on that side of her face.

It is surprising how many dogs will continue to eat and chew with a tooth infection.

Yes, this can wait until you can get her to the vet tomorrow. As long as the facial swelling does not process and her breathing is still normal.

In the event it is an allergic swelling, do you have Benadryl or another antihistamine at home? I can give you a dose for her to have this evening.

We do have Benadryl on hand :)

Great! How much does she weigh?

Close to 55 pounds

At that weight, her dose would be 50mg (2 x 25mg tablets) of the Benadryl. You can repeat it every 8 hours.

If the swelling persists tomorrow morning, I recommend having her evaluated to rule in/out a tooth infection. If this is the case, she will need antibiotics and likely need the affected tooth extracted.

I wish you both all the best.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you so very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated. We will definitely be getting her to our vet tomorrow.
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian