Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My English dog has swelling in his face: his nose wrinkle is…

Customer Question
My English bull dog...

My English bull dog has swelling in his face : his nose wrinkle is red/swollen And the area around his eyes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

We've given him two children's Benadryl and a steroid per phone call with vet

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

His name is ***** ***** 6

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
The swelling has decreased. We think it was an insect bite that caused the reaction. I always worry about labored breathing because of the type of dog he is. He has drank water normally and begged for food. Normal pink healthy color to inside of his mouth. He appears to be breathing normal. Just wanted to make sure we shouldn't take him into the emergency vet
9/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Denver ER Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there, I am sorry to hear that Brando is having trouble this evening. My name is***** I am an experienced emergency vet, and I will be happy to help.

What you are describing likely falls into one of two categories. Allergies to food or environmental substances are very common in bulldogs, and often manifest in skin issues like the skin fold irritation you describe. Other manifestations include ear infections and anal gland impactions. Has Brando ever had any allergy issues before?

An allergic response to a bug bite is also very possible. These are typically treated with steroids and antihistamines as your vet recommended.

If Brando is responding to the therapy and appears to be breathing OK, there is no need to rush him to the ER tonight. If the swelling clears completely following treatment, then a bug bite is very likely. If it comes back as soon as therapy is stopped, then a skin allergy to a food or environmental allergen is more likely. Those can be a bit tougher to work up and treat, but there is allergy testing available for dogs, and treatment options are improving.

You can certainly repeat the Benadryl every 8 hours for a day or two if needed, but I would not continue the steroids for more than a day without having him evaluated by your vet.

I hope this information gives you a bit of peace of mind for tonight. I am available if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Dr. Paul

I am a bit new getting back to this program. Did my reply make it through to you?

Dr. Paul

I did get your response! Thank you so much. Brando is much better! So far, no swelling has appeared again! Thank you!

That's great!! Happy to help. Please let me know if you have any other questions!!

Thanks,

Dr. Paul

Hi there, checking back in to see if my reply made it through and to see if you need anything else?

Thanks,

Dr. Paul

Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Dog Veterinarian