Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She scratches until her skin is raw, Nena and she is3, We…

Customer Question
She scratches until her...

She scratches until her skin is raw

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Nena and she is3

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Nena?

We moved to the country were there are chickens and wide live and all my dogs are scare Tching

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nena?

No she is 3

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Nena and your other dogs.

What state do you live in?

Are your dogs on a monthly flea/tick prevention?

Florida

My biggest concern in Florida would be fleas, especially if all of your dogs are scratching.

For Neva to be scratching to the point of having raw skin, she may have a flea allergy, making her particularly sensitive to the flea bites.

If they are not already, I recommend having all of the dogs on a quality flea/tick prevention. Simparica (a monthly oral) has been shown to the be the most effective and have the quickest kill time for fleas and ticks.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!