Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 2yr ol German Shepherd was severely abused and

Customer Question
My 2yr ol German...

My 2yr ol German Shepherd was severely abused and traumatized when she was a puppy. Now she is afraid of "everything." People, dogs, thunder, any loud noise. She hides and stays in my closet, she does like to ride in the car but getting her out if there is loud noises is impossible. She refuses to even get close to any business door (especially automatic). Her vet told me to talk with a dog psychologist and that she may possibly need meds. What can I do to help my baby?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

Her name is ***** ***** icantgether inside of the building to even see her vet

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zena?

She is extremely protective of me and I adopted her from the Castle Rock shelter this past May. She's a living dog but only with me. No one else can get near her as she cowers and physically pulls herself out of her collar, and/or halter with her leash attached. When she pulls from the collar she will run about 5-10 feet from me then stop and wait for me to come get her and take her back inside. She walks fine as long as there is nothing or anyone else around, she lives to try and chase rabbits.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 8 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. You are describing a fear aggressive type behavior, meaning that she fears everything and if she feels cornered by someone she does not know she will likely lash out and bite.'

At what age did you get her?

How do you know she was abused? Who abused her?

What have you tried so far with her?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian