Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She's a 10 month old lab that just ate my son's 40 mg

Customer Question
She's a 10 month...

She's a 10 month old lab that just ate my son's 40 mg vyvanse capsule.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your son's dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Maui

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maui?

I just got her last week as a rescue. I'm supposed to take her Friday for her shots since there aren't any records.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting please consider the veterinary er as it can cause symptoms such as agitation, hyperactivity, tremors, seizures, increased body temperature, high blood pressure all of which can be treated at a veterinary er but they can also administer activated charcoal to coat the intestinal tract and minimize further absorption of the medicaiton

If you are able to give me your Maui's weight I can calculate the level of concern with this ingestion. At doses of 1 mg/kg we see problems with agitation. At doses of 10 mg/kg we can see very serious effects such as heart arrhythmias and seizures so if we can remove it from Maui's system that would be ideal

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I want to say about 40 lbs.

OK so this is about 2.2 mg/kg dose which can result in agitation so definitely induce vomiting and if no vomiting of the medication please consider a veterinary er to administer stronger medications to minimize absorption but also give the activated charcoal I mentioned

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Good evening, I wanted to check in on Maui after your question yesterday. Were you able to induce vomiting? I would love an update when you are able