Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

6 month old 28 lb puppy ate small amount of crate pad -

Customer Question
6 month old 28...

6 month old 28 lb puppy ate small amount of crate pad - about 1" x 1" square piece of woven fabric with a very thin plastic-looking backing - the fabric seems to come apart easily into small bits. 2 1/2 hours ago. Wondering if this might cause a problem, or if anything special should be fed to ease passage.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Meg

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DakotaSouthFive,
 replied 11 months ago
DakotaSouthFive

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

It is possible that the pup chewed it up enough that it will pass.

However you will want to watch for signs of an obstruction of the bowel over the next few days. Watch for it to pass in her stool and if you do not see it then watch for symptoms of sudden lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea or change in stool habits, and lethargy. If you see these symptoms see your Vet right away.

In the mean time you can try adding a teaspoon of pure canned pumpkin to the daily diet to add fiber and help push it through.

Please let me know if you have any more questions I can help you with.

Thank you for your response. I believe she most likely chewed it up into tiny pieces, but there is no way to be certain. I was unsure if it was a good idea to induce vomiting for such a small amount of fabric, and it also might have already passed through her stomach. The concern is whether or not it might be toxic, which I was unable to find out due to the bed not having a label on it.
Thanks, ***** ***** interested in speaking by telephone - writing is fine)
At the beginning of this chat, it indicated I would be speaking with a veterinarian.