Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My lab got into about 4 raw pieces of city city (pork cube…

Customer Question
My lab got into...

My lab got into about 4 raw pieces of city city (pork cube with breading on a small stick). I don't know if both labs ate the meat, or just one. I did not find any part of the sticks either. They are both acting fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

I have two, one is a yellow lab, Bailey and one a chocolate lab, Kahlua. I know Bailey can't jump to get to where the meat was sitting, but if Kahlua pulled it off the table, she would join in the fun.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She is two and is a handful. She ate it very fast, since I was only out of the room for about 3 minutes. The yellow lab is older, about 12.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on your Labs, please?

The pork isn't toxic but I am concerned about the sticks passing through the gastrointestinal tract which retract from sharp points but perforation still needs to be considered. The hallmarks of gastrointestinal perforation are persistent vomiting and/or anorexia. A painful abdomen as evidenced by "splinting" of the abdomen would be another worrisome sign.