Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog just ate half a small chicken bone. She is a small…

My dog just ate half...
My dog just ate half a small chicken bone. She is a small dog. Not sure how well she chewed it up. Heard the bones can splinter and tare their insides, is there something we should do or watch for?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/17/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

Unfortunately in this situation we cannot induce vomiting because the bone can have sharp edges and do more damage to the esophagus on the way up so at this point but we can take a few precautionary items to minimize the risk of an obstruction. Luckily chicken bones are quite hollow and very likely digested primarily in the stomach to minimize risk of damage to the intestines

1.) Feed 2 pieces of bread now

2.) Take a nice walk to help move the bones through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion

3.) In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the bone to hopefully push them through and protect the edges from causing damage

4.) Monitor for signs of the material coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours but you may not see this

5.) Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if is passes on its own

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Thanks

You are very welcome, best wishes to you both :)

Hi Charlie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian