Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think he's got kennel cough,, aged 2 1/2, He's got skin…

Customer Question
I think he's got...

I think he's got kennel cough

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Brian, aged 2 1/2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brian?

He's got skin allergies. He is a Wheaton Scottie

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

Unfortunately even if vaccinated for kennel cough, there are many strains and exposure or even the modified live vaccination itself can still result in kennel cough in puppies and adult dogs. Similar to having a flu vaccination but still getting the flu virus in a more mild form. The cough is comparable to something being caught in the throat or a cat with a hairball.

There are some home remedies that can help reduce the cough and give relief

1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant

2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs

3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in this situation

Unfortunately I prefer to avoid cough suppressants because when suppressing a cough if there is phlegm or buildup and lead to bronchitis or even pneumonia if the material is not coughed up so this is not something I tend to administer.

I hope this information makes sense! If the cough is productive I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure antibiotics are not warranted. In addition if there is development of lethargy or a reduced appetite then it would be best to have a veterinary exam.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!