Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 40 pound beagle swallowed a zertek d about 5 hours ago.

Customer Question
He is panting and acting...
My 40 pound beagle swallowed a zertek d about 5 hours ago. He is panting and acting a bit odd in a cooler room, in a laying position.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. Any antihistamine with a D at the end of it has a decongestant. Decongestants can be very toxic to dogs. It sounds like he is showing symptoms of decongestant toxicity. It is considered a moderate to severe toxin, so it is possible for these toxins can cause heart rhythm abnormalities, elevated heart rate, increase in body temperature, increased blood pressure, tremors, seizures and death. Given what you are seeing now, my best advice is to get him to your nearest emergency vet. He needs his heart checked, started on fluid therapy and given medications to control heart rate, arrhythmias and blood pressure. There is nothing you can do about this at home, and it can be life threatening. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. i was just following up to see how your Beagle is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian