Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Was drinking a LOT of water but started to bloat and peeing…

Customer Question
Was drinking a LOT...

Was drinking a LOT of water but started to bloat and peeing less now he is down to four pees a day and two water bowl trips. Disteded, eating well but hard to stand with weight of fluid. He is diabetic and on insulin. Unproductive cough

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry the dog has that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Wolfy, a schnoodle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wolfy?

eye is discharging and sealing shut

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. There appears to be more than one thing going on with Wolfy at this time. Drinking more than usual (polydipsia) and urinating a higher volume of urine (polyuria) are danger signs for quite a few disorders. These include both hepatic and renal insufficiencies, urinary tract infection involving the kidneys; uncontrolled diabetes mellitus, Cushing's disease, hyperthyroidism - all three will also cause increased hunger (polyphagia); hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium level – often due to lymphoma), electrolyte (sodium, potassium, chloride) imbalances, and the rarer Addison's disease, diabetes insipidus, and brain tumor involving the hypothalamus.

Bloating due to free fluid in the abdomen (an abdominal effusion), however, arises secondary to right-sided heart failure, liver or kidney failure, or inflammation in the abdominal cavity caused by neoplasia or infection. Wolfy's unproductive cough is worrisome that there's also an effusion in his chest cavity as well as the more common congestive heart failure.

His eye disorder is unclear to me but the eye should be examined by his vet at the same time he's given a thorough physical exam in an attempt to clarify why his symptoms have arisen. Time is of the essence as these symptoms are life-threatening. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian