Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have an approximately 12 year old dog that I have had for…

Customer Question
Hello. I have an approximately...

Hello.
I have an approximately 12 year old dog that I have had for about 5 years.
A couple weeks ago she started losing her appitite, and randomly lay down in the middle of her night time walks on two consecutive nights and started walking very slowly on all of her walks. I scheduled a vet appointment, but they didn't find anything obviously wrong with a basic check-up. I then noticed she was swelling in her abdomen and took her to a vet that does more intensive checks.
They determined with x-rays that she has right sided heart disease, likely due to her having heart worms that we treated 4 years ago. They said there was no sign of current heart worms.
They also said she has early stage kidney disease, which makes treatment more difficult because the diuretics normally prescribed for the fluid retention will make the kidney disease worse.
They referred us to a cardiologist - but they also said that neither the hearth disease nor the kidney disease can ever actually be healed or corrected.My question is about how much point there is going to an undoubtedly very expensive specialist when we already know she can't be cured.
I've read that the best case scenario, even with treatment, is maybe another 6-12 months.
Specifically, what I want to know is:
Other than diet changes, (lower sodium, and lower phosphorous) what are the possible treatment options (as in, what medications or surgery can be done that would help?)
For each possible treatment, what are the usual side-effects?
What is the prognosis with treatments?
What is the expected quality of life with treatments?
What is the prognosis without any treatment?
What is the expected quality of life with no treatment?Basically, I'm willing to spend some money if it means she has a long happy healthy life ahead of her, but I don't want to just do anything that might possibly extend her life a few months, especially if that time is likely to be spent in pain or unable to move around and be active.Thanks for any information you can provide.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Didi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Didi?

Please read my whole question

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Sara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Sara. I am sorry to hear about Didi. I would suspect that if she is building up fluid in her abdomen, she is in right sided heart failure. This doesn't mean a horrible quality of life but does mean she will most likely not have good quality for very long. Did you have the ultrasound done? It would be helpful to have her on the appropriate cardiac meds; that will help her heart to function well for as long as it can.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian